How often do long distant relationships work out in the end? It takes a special bond that will make it last.
Any business, marriage, friendship or family relationship requires quality time in order for it to develop into something that will stand the test of time.
The following 6 points are key factors to ensuring that these relationships last.
1. Spend Quality Time Together. Think of your best friend and ask yourself how much time do you spend together? This best friend could change at different stages of your life. Why? It’s a function of time that you spend together. To name a few, this could be in the form of a phone call, a meeting or participating in a sporting event together.
2. Be Authentic. People will generally connect and build trust with people who are real in their eyes.
Genuine connection comes down to how vulnerable we are willing to be with others.
3. Don’t Only Call When You Need a Favour. Most people will naturally always be willing to help, however, if the only time they hear from you is when you want something, they may be less inclined to be forthcoming with assistance.
4. Help Fix Their Problem If You Can. Long term relationships are often built through adversity. If someone gets stuck and needs help, provide the helping hand if you are able and don’t expect anything in return.
5. Add Value to People. People will be attracted to those who add value to their lives. Real value is about making a fundamental difference to their lives.
6. Do What You Say You Are Going to Do. Long-term relationships are built through trust. How does it make you feel when you organise an event and receive confirmation from someone that they will be attending, but when the event arrives, they don’t pitch up? This erodes trust doesn’t it?
Take Outs – Have the right intent when building a relationship. The right intent, along with using one or two of the simple tools above, will go a long way in strengthening current relationships and forging new ones.